Thursday, May 17th is Bike to Work Day in the District so join us in celebration of National Bike to Work Month. Skip the traffic, reduce emissions, get fresh air and be healthier! Begin preparing now by cycling through some of the wonderful scenic trails the Energy Corridor has to offer and keep the following tips in mind:
- Get a biking buddy. Make plans to join an experienced bike commuter.
- Establish a commuter convoy. Identify several meeting locations and bike together to work. Make arrangements for an experienced bike commuter to lead the group.
- Ensure your bike is in good working order.
- Always wear a helmet while biking.
- Make sure that you can be seen at night. For example, headlights are mandatory during the dark early morning hours as well as at night (white in front with a rear reflector displayed on the back).
- Test your route on a weekend to see how long it takes and where to be careful.
- Prepare your bike the night before you bike to work to save time in the morning.
- Bring your work clothes to work before so that they are ready to change into.
- Know where to lock your bike and where to change your clothes at work.
To sign up to be matched for a Bike Buddy, visit www.energycorridor.org/mobility-public-safety/bike-to-work. And, for more information about biking to work, contact Clark Martinson at 281-759-3800 or via email at email@example.com.