Flu season is just around the corner. Although the virus is usually at its peak during January or February, it can arrive as early as October! To make sure you and your family are prepared, here are a few tips on how to avoid catching the virus:
• Take time to get a flu vaccine: While there are many different flu viruses, the flu vaccine protects against the three viruses that research suggests will be the most common
• Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze
• Wash your hands often with soap and hot water
• Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth as germs are easily spread this way
• Avoid close contact with people who are sick
• Practice other good health habits. Get plenty of sleep, be physically active, manage your stress, drink plenty of fluids and eat nutritious foods
It is possible to infect others as early as one day before your symptoms develop and as long as seven days after, so make sure to follow these precautions to avoid the spread of your flu!